Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Climate Ride Chronicles​: Cadence, Chestertow​n and more character!

Hello and Happy Wednesday:

I've been so busy biking that I have some stories to share with you.
I've covered a lot of miles!

Last Monday I did my first sprint training around Haines Point.
Luckily, there weren't incidents like last time; no bloody knees, flat
tires or needing rescue. There was some character building as it was
really windy! When I dabbled in running, I did sprint training a bit
too; the idea is that challenging your heart with these sprints helps
you to better tolerate the longer distance trainings. It is also a
much faster way to cram in miles since I do actually have to be at my
jobs during the day. The lesson of the evening was cadence; how fast
you're turning the peddles. With practice and time, the goal is to be
turning the peddles at a faster rate but perhaps an easier gear and
somehow that is more efficient. I trust Corey knows what he's talking
about, since he consistently kicks my butt on the road, but I don't
actually get it quite yet. We did a few laps around Haines point,
alternating between as-fast-as-you-can and not-quite-as-fast (but
still huffing in the wind). When we got to the far side of the loop
each time, the wind was REALLY strong in our faces and it was tough. I
felt like a bird hovering in the air more than a biker who is actually
moving forward. At one point I'm peddling as hard as I can, watching
Corey get further ahead, when another biker comes up behind me with
encouragement! "Peddle, peddle, you can do it!" How sweet! Bikers are
good folks :)

Wednesday I hung out with my buddy Tovah. She and I headed to VA for a
bike maintenance class at REI. In theory, I now know how to change a
flat tire. It wasn't a "hands on" class, but I suppose if push comes
to shove and a flat tire is the thing preventing me from coming home,
I'll figure it out. Being stubborn has its shining moments. I spent a
fortune on a pair of bike gloves that are padded to make things nicer
on your joints but are also really warm. Fancy! They better last for a
decade.

Thursday was a special day because it was the first time I had ridden
50 miles! I got to spend a beautiful morning with my friend Beto. He
too is an experiences cyclist and when I met him over a year ago, I
was quite impressed with him riding 150 miles most weeks. Now that I'm
hitting those numbers myself, I am even more stoked. Originally we
were going to meet at the metro station at 7AM but we reconsidered and
pushed back the time to 8...since the station was an hour from my
house, I didn't mind. Technically I'm not supposed to have my bike on
the metro after 7AM for rush hour, but I was willing to risk it and
play dumb for an extra hour of sleep.

It was quite chilly that morning, and Beto is particularly adverse to being cold, so his
bundled up self made him look like he belonged on America's Most
Wanted list; the ski-like mask is what really pushed the ensemble over
the top. At least his chin was warm. I was really happy to have my new
gloves. When Beto asked how warm they were, I answered, completely
seriously, "three flames". He immediately burst into laughter and
says, "what do you mean, three flames?". And I reply that the glove
packaging had a warm scale of 1-4 flames, and these gloves were three.
Seemed warm to me :)

After a quick meet-and-great with his adorable puppy, we hit the road!
Quickly leaving the neighborhood and subdivision land we embarked on
quite a trek along back roads in Howard county (and one more, but I
forget. Was is Frederick county, Beto?). We passed woods, fields of
grass that looked like water with the wind, and some beautiful farm
houses. There was a bit of McMansion invasion, but not nearly as much
as when I was in Falls Church. Beto said that every once in a while
when he rides past the horses, they'll run along side the fence with
him. How cool is that? We talked about why we love biking so much and
covered things like these adventures, trips out of the city and
getting to explore. Another highlight? Getting to eat way more! When
you're biking for hours each week, you gotta keep the gas tank full!
At least that's what I tell myself as I hit bottom on another jar of
nutella.

The route Beto planned was full of hills. And more hills. There was
also wind, of course. This became less of a "fun challenge" as the
miles wore on. At one point I was thinking to myself; "I am sure there
is some character at the top of this hill...and I want to PUNCH it in
the FACE!". Towards the very end of our route, Beto was trying to
coach me a bit about an especially steep hill that was coming up.
"Peddle into the hill as hard as you can so that your momentum from
the down hill carries you up further. It is very steep, so if you need
to walk up, make sure there aren't cars behind you." As soon as he
said that I felt my engine rev. So help me God, if it was the last
thing I did, I would peddle up the hill! Lance Armstrong wouldn't walk
his bike, I'm not either. I made it to the top :)

I am experimenting with different bars, gels and snacks. I had bought
a variety of things on my lunch break the day before. One of them was
a honey based supplement that I was hoping would taste better than the
Quick carbs for the road!
terrible gels I had tried before. It also had Lance Armstrong's
picture on it. It did the trick and helped me have the energy to get
home. My favorite so far is a gummy block that has a good dose of
glucose, electrolytes and also a touch of caffeine. It also doesn't
taste like cough syrup.

I had hoped to go 60 miles, but I need to balance training goals with
a bit of reality. 30 miles was my furthest distance a mere two weeks
prior. When we first got back, he said we had gone just shy of 50
miles. I was a little crushed to have been so close to 50 miles and to
have missed the mark. Beto later said that he read the wrong number on
his bike computer and that we had gone 50.2. I didn't actually believe
him, but because he swore on his puppy, I am going to hope he was
telling the truth. My calendar says 50! When I got back to my house, I
rejoined Those Who Wash Their Hair and Shave Their Legs...it had been
a while! My single bike outfit went straight into the wash. There is
something remarkably satisfying about working that hard and getting
that gross and then taking a really really hot shower. I slept like a
champ that night but stairs were pretty tough the next day.

My total miles for last week was about 140; less than then week before
but I didn't get to ride on Saturday. I spend a lovely time in
Chestertown visiting with my good friend Nick and Alyssa. Alyssa, my
former roommate, was the star of a play and it was so cool to see her
on stage.

This week the goal is to hit (or pass!) 200 miles...so far I've hit
106, so I think I'll make it!

Thank you for reading and thank you for your support.


Holly

        __o
       _ `\ <, _
...... ( • ) /  ( • )
My Climate Ride: http://tiny.cc/obbjn

No comments:

Post a Comment