Monday, May 28, 2012

The Climate Ride Chronicles: Soaking it all in

Hello Everyone!

I have returned from the epic bike adventure and am still soaking it all in. This trip was honestly one of the coolest trips I have ever done and I have returned from the voyage refreshed, recharged and rejuvenated...pretty good for biking 300 miles!

Nearly 200 riders took this journey together, and despite the large crowd, things felt well organized and supported. The luggage was organized by last name, our bikes were tagged with our names and stored safely each night, we had loads of food and water throughout the day, bike mechanics were available all day long and the support crews were along the route encouraging us with good tunes, cheers and cow bells. We were entertained and educated each evening by various speakers who were also riding on the ride, so once we knew who each person was, we got to chat with them during the day too. Ben Sollee, an excellent cellist was also along for the trip and graced us with his lovely music!

We cruised along diverse terrain ranging from not-so-pretty highways, to Amish country in Pennsylvania, wound along creeks and forests and had plenty of stops at bakeries and ice-cream shops. We also found a few hills, of course, particularly on day four. The photographer had a pesky habit of parking at the top of hills and capturing our sweaty selves puffing up the hills. Stay tuned for these sweaty delights and others! I'll be able to purchase a DVD of the whole trip, including our charge on the capital, and will post them as soon as I can.

I met people who were passionate about having healthy communities and felt like I found "my people". Instead of feeling like the black sheep when I talk about compost, recycling or some other "crazy hippy" idea, folks are simply nodding in agreement. Awesome.

The days were challenging but doable! I felt well trained and able to complete the miles each day. I needed a few days off to let my legs (and tush) recover, but I'm ready to get back on the road again. And after an epic amount of laundry, my spandex collection is ready too!

The final day was nearly all downhill; we were all so excited for the trip, that it was nearly over and that we were so close to out goal! We flew in a huge pack to the national mall. Energy was high and we peddled hard. At one point near the end, I was on a quiet stretch of the bike trail and it hit me that this was almost over and I choked up. This has been so magical and I was just filled to the brim with gratitude.

When I came back, I was told that I look happier than I have in a long time. That is how I feel, so it must be seeping out my pores! I am happy and hopeful for this summer. Time (mostly) off is going to be good for my spirit.

Thank you so much for all of your support that allowed me to embark on, and complete, this incredible journey. Your generosity helped me reach my fundraising goal, and your love, hugs, texts, messages and temporary tattoos helps me peddle all the way home!

Humbly yours,

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment