Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Climate Ride Chronicles: Greetings from the big apple!

Hello! I am so excited that I am here in New York and that my trip is
about to begin! I was bouncing around the house this morning as my
dear roomies were getting ready for work...I had enough energy for
everyone! Even two mild ear infections can't keep me down (I know,
crappy timing, right?). I am on strong decongestants to help my ears
drain, and I started antibiotics. I think I'll be just fine. And per
Corey's recs, I have cotton balls to put in my ears to keep the wind
off them.

I had an easy bus ride up mid-day with barely any traffic. The weather
here is beautiful and I have been catching up with my friend James
this afternoon.

The adventure begins Saturday morning and I am buzzing with
excitement! I did my last training ride on Saturday and did nearly 70
miles. The best part? It felt easy! What an ego boost. I feel really
ready to go kick this ride's butt! This week I have stopped biking to
let my body rest and recover in prep for Saturday morning. I have not
stopped eating cookies :) I had a burrito dinner in DC last night and
finished packing last night and this morning. I haven't thought of
anything that I have forgotten yet and I hope it stays that way.
Gloria, Miss Independent, is coming to NY tomorrow with a great guy
who rented a moving truck and is taking several bikes up. It was so
much easier to get here without having to worry about the bike too!

Tomorrow night we have a meet and greet at the fire house that is our
home base in NY; the bikes are dropped off, we meet the press and the
other riders and we pick up our info packets and jerseys. On the first
and last days of the trip, we all wear matching jerseys so we look
like quite the impressive mob. On Saturday morning, we meet back at
the same place between 8 and 9 in the morning, hear a safety talk and
then start peddling at 9:30. Saturday is the shortest day; 45 miles.
The remaining four days are between 60 and 70 miles each. We will be
well fed and watered!

I didn't bring a laptop, so I am not sure yet how often I'll be able
to email from the road, but I do intend to do regular updates and
pictures on facebook because I can do that easily from my phone. If I
make friends with someone with a laptop, I'll try to send email
updates too.

Thank you very much for all of the support and well wishes, and thank
you so much for all of the donations that have allowed me to join in
on this epic trip!

I am looking forward to a safe and wonderful ride,

Holly (and Gloria!)

No comments:

Post a Comment